Sun Salutation by H3Yoga
Sun Salutation is an ancient practice that coordinates breath and movement. The coordination of breath and postures is called “flow”, in Sanskrit it is known as Vinyasa.
It was the great sage Vamana Rishi who said 2500 years ago:
“Vina Vinyasa Yoga Asanadin Na Kriyat” – “Without flow, yoga poses should not be taken.”
Breath is the primary and the movement follows the breath.
It is the coordination of the movement to the breath that transitions the nervous system from stress mode torelax mode.
Traditionally, Sun Salutation are ways to greet the day, wake up the body, sharpen the mind and reveal the true Self.
Today, there are over 50 different ways of doing sun salutations yet they are all based on same principal, the breath leads and body follows.
While all Yoga styles recognize the importance of sun salutations and heating the body, each style will use sun salutation differently, with different breathing techniques
Sun Salutations is a meditation in motion. You can use it as a meditation – 15 mins everyday, or as a preventative care.
15 mins of sun salutation increases flexibility, decreases heart rate, and prolongs the life span.
Techniques and application
- The greatest challenge in sun salutations, is allowing the breath to lead and the body to follow.
- This focus on the breath is what separates yoga from sports.
- The breath is in and out of the nose, inhale and exhale has the same length of time.
- Sun Salutations acts as a warm up for a yoga practice. Ideally between 10 – 20 minutes.
Not only does the practice continually take the spine from forward to backward movements, increasing spinal strength and flexibility, the practice is also known for the following benefits:
- Increases flexibility
- Reduces stress
- Works every muscle group in the body.
- Enhances blood circulation
- Lubricate the major joints
- Enhances the skin
- Shift from stress mode to relax mode
- Creates new neuro-muscular relationship
- Increases oxygen volume in the body
- Increases metabolize
- Reduces cortisol level in the adrenals
- Improves the digestive system
- Enhances mental alertness
- Improves cognition